6 Strangest Military Vehicles Ever Built


6 Strangest Military Vehicles. Number 6. Developed by the Russians during the Cold
War, the Corkscrew tank is, without a doubt, one of the strangest military vehicles ever
built. Ideally, it would be used during extreme winter
conditions where typical tanks would break down due to ice and snow. In addition, this tank model was also able
to travel sideways. This capability came particularly handy if
the tank ever got stuck. While it was certainly useful in snowy conditions,
the Corkscrew tank was quite difficult to handle on other roads. It didn’t help that the tank didn’t come with
a suspension. Moreover, this vehicle was also particularly
hard to steer. Number 5. Even during tough spending times, Europe’s
military forces still had to find clever ways to defend themselves following the Second
World War. For the French, that meant creating a military
vehicle that would allow them to stretch their defense budget as far as it could go. Officially named the “ACMA Troupes Aerol Portees”
this military vehicle was essentially a Vespa scooter turned lethal. To give the Vespa some defense capabilities,
the French military fitted it with a 75 mm recoilless rifle. Doing so only cost the military around $500
per unit. The ACMA Troupes Aerol Portees was soon deployed
with the airborne forces. While an experienced gunner should be able
to fire effectively and drive a Vespa at the same time, it was absolutely unsafe for civilian
folks. Number 4. The Walking Truck or the Cybernetic Anthropomorphous
Machine (CAM) was designed in 1965 with a special mission in mind. That was to help infantry forces move their
heavy equipment over difficult terrain. As gallant as the idea was, it soon became
clear that CAM was anything but practical. For starters, it needed an onboard operator
to run. It also couldn’t move fast enough and only
achieved a top speed of five miles per hour. That meant it was an easy target for any enemy
combatants in the area. Number 3. Built by the Russian empire in 1914, the Tsar
tank or Lebedenko tank has gone down in history as one of the weirdest military vehicles ever
developed. The tank was designed with two front wheels
that were 30 feet in diameter. Each was powered by a 250-horsepower engine. There was also a set of rear wheels to give
the tank stability. Meanwhile, a large structure was placed at
the center of its hull to possibly accommodate the tank crew. A single prototype of the Tsar Tank was built. During the trials, design issues became immediately
clear. Because the rear wheel was handling most of
the tank’s weight, it often got stuck. Number 2. The Motor War Car bears the distinction of
being the first armored car that was ever built. Designed by a man named “Frederick Richard
Simms,” an order for a single prototype of this vehicle was ordered back in April 1889. The Simms-designed armored car had an odd
rectangular frame that was constructed from heavy steel channels. It measured 28 feet long, 10 feet high, and
8 feet wide. Powered by a four-cylinder Daimler engine,
this military vehicle was capable of traveling up to 200 miles. However, it could only reach a top speed of
nine miles per hour. In other words, if you’re in pursuit or being
pursued, this wouldn’t be the military vehicle for you. Number 1. Without a doubt, the honor of the strangest
military vehicle ever built goes to the Kugelpanzer. Also known as the “Rollzeug” or “rolling vehicle,”
this ball-shaped tank was developed by the Germans to help deal with some challenges
encountered in No-Man’s Land. The Kugelpanzer actually represented Germany’s
second attempt to develop a working ball tank. The first prototype they ever developed was
the Treffas-Wagen back in 1917. Designed with a cylindrical compartment featuring
a single vision slit, the vehicle was powered by a two-strong single cylinder engine that
could travel only up to eight kilometers an hour. It’s believed that the ball tank was sent
to Japan in the 1940s as part of a technology sharing scheme. However, it was captured in Manchuria by the
Red Army in 1945. Today, it’s on display at the Kubinka Tank
Museum.