Are you looking for an affordable Modern deck that’s fair, interacts with opponents, and even shares so many cards with its Legacy counterpart that it is almost two decks in one? Well then have I got a deck for you! My favorite in all of Magic; Modern Merfolk. Modern Merfolk combines tempo with aggro-swarm to create a fun but powerful deck in Modern. It also shares two-thirds of the cards with Legacy Merfolk, meaning that with a few additional purchases and upgrades, it can easily transform between formats. Best of all for either format, Merfolk is relatively inexpensive and while not quite a tier-1 deck, it provides such flexibility and presence that it is always right on the cusp of breaking through.
* phone rings * Will you be the Merfolk master who finally pilots these beautiful bluefish all the way to the top?
* phone rings * Let’s take a look! Modern Merfolk is always getting stronger, and this particular deck-tech begins with an update for the upcoming set, Ixalan. My exclusive preview card for the set happens to have a main-board spot in this, my absolute favorite deck So toss out your ‘Kira, the Great Glass Spinners’, and say hello to ‘Kopala, Warden of Waves’. ‘Kopala, Warden of Waves’ is a to two-two Legendary Merfolk Wizard for one and to blue, and reads:
* phone rings * “Spells your opponents cast that target a Merfolk you control cost two more to cast.”
* phone rings * Abilities your opponents activate that target a Merfolk you control cost two more to activate.
* phone rings * Illustrated by the Transcendent talent of Magali Villeneuve, I can think of no prouder
* phone rings * moment in my history than to present this card to all of you, and- * phone rings *
* beep * “Hi Prof! This is Blake Rasmussen the Wizards of the Coast. So, I’ve got bad news. By now you’ve probably seen the article about the leak and the mechanics article as well. I know we gave you Kopala as your preview card, but alas, leaks. So since everyone knows about this card we’re going to have to give you something different.” * screaming *
NO! * intro jingle * * crying heavily * “Your preview card is…” * heavy crying continues *
I want a re-print! “Excuse me?” I want a re-print as my preview card! We don’t have enough re-prints in Standard!
* crying begins again * “Okay… well, we were printing ‘Slice in Twain’ for Ixalan. Two and two green for an Instant. ‘Destroy target artifact or enchantment draw a card.’ There you go, that’s your preview card!” I want an additional preview card! “Come again?” I want another preview card! Both re-prints! Give it to me or I’m gonna do a video on cardstock quality! ” …Jeez. Okay, well, we’re printing ‘Duress’. You can preview that as well. A single black for a Sorcery. ‘Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a non-creature, non-land card from it. That player discards that card.’ * crying heavily * * blows nose * Want it to be ‘Thoughtseize’! “I literally cannot change the cards in a set.” * crying *
Then I want! Another! Preview! Card! “Another one?” I want a blue card! Okay?! Give me a blue card! A re-print that isn’t Modern legal but will be once it’s re-printed into Standard! An instant, like a ‘cantrip’. Something from 15 years ago!
* sobbing * “That’s really specific… ” Or else, I will do another interview with Mark Rosewater at HASCON! “Huh, well… we are reprinting ‘Opt’. You can preview that!” “A single blue for an Instant. ‘Scry 1. Draw a card.’ ” * sniffing *
Okay, fine. Let’s talk about my preview card for Dominaria, ’cause I have some notes. “Urgh! Every single set!” Coming up next we’re taking-
– Even red! You can use red mana to cast this if you want! * chuckling*
You’re dead weight, Ashlen. Let’s take a look at what we have next. We can safely say ‘Flying Men’ is a better card than ‘Merfolk of the Pearl Trident’. Got it? Good. Because it’s about to get a lot more complicated, thank God. Savannah- vironmentally friendly. Today, Ludevic Laboratories Incorporated is among the top five producers… of zombies! Vertically integrated, with the commitment to diversity. “I’ll cast ‘Cathartic Reunion’.” “It resolves.”